(Pocket-lint) – Continuity is a function from Apple that permits you to simply transition between (or use collectively) your iPhone, iPad, Mac, iPod Contact and Apple Watch.
It consists of a number of sub-features, which embrace iPhone Mobile Calls, Handoff, Common Clipboard, SMS/MMS Messaging, Immediate Hotspot, Continuity Digicam, Continuity Sketch, Continuity Markup and Auto Unlock.
This function explains every of those Continuity options and learn how to allow and disable Continuity.
iPhone Mobile Calls
- iPhone working iOS 8.1 or later and activated community plan
- iOS 8 or later
- macOS X Yosemite or later
The iPhone Mobile Calls function permits you to make and obtain mobile phone calls out of your iPad, iPod contact, or Mac – with out getting your iPhone out of your pocket – if they’re on the identical community as your iPhone.
It requires an iPhone working iOS 8.1 or later and an activated community plan and it’ll work with any iPad or iPod Contact working iOS 8 or later and any Mac working macOS X Yosemite or later.
To make a name in your Mac: Transfer the cursor over any cellphone quantity in Contacts, Calendar, Safari or different app that detects such information > Click on the arrow within the field that outlines the cellphone quantity > Select Name [phone number] Utilizing iPhone. You can even open the FaceTime app and enter a cellphone quantity within the search subject and name utilizing the audio choice.
To make a name in your iPad/iPod Contact: Faucet a cellphone quantity in Contacts, Calendar, Safari or different app that mechanically detects such information. You can even open the FaceTime app > Faucet the “+” > Enter the cellphone quantity within the search subject > Faucet the cellphone icon for audio.
You possibly can reply calls with a swipe in your iPad or iPod Contact. On a Mac, you’re going to get a notification you could reply, ship the caller a message or ship to voicemail. Take into accout any gadget that shares your Apple ID will get your iPhone calls.
How one can allow or disable cellphone calling on Continuity
To allow the cellphone calling function on Continuity, signal into iCloud and FaceTime with the identical Apple ID on all of your units. Make sure that every gadget has Wi-Fi turned on and every gadget is linked to the identical community.
In your iPhone: Go to Settings > Telephone > Calls on Different Gadgets > Activate/off Permit Calls on Different Gadgets > Toggle/untoggle the units you need to permit calls on.
In your iPad or iPod contact: Go to Settings > FaceTime > Activate/off Calls from iPhone.
In your Mac: Open the FaceTime app > Select FaceTime > Preferences > Click on Settings > Choose/deselect Calls From iPhone.
- iOS 8 or later
- OS X Yosemite or later
- watchOS 1.0 or later
Handoff allows you to cease begin engaged on one gadget after which swap to a close-by gadget to choose up the place you left off. It may be used with any Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod Contact and Apple Watch working on iOS 8, OS X Yosemite or watchOS 1.0 or later.
The thought is you could step away out of your Mac and proceed on a cellular gadget, or vice versa. To make use of Handoff, open an app to begin a process, reminiscent of begin an electronic mail or open an internet site on Safari. To proceed that process on a Mac, you may have to click on the app icon to the left of the Dock. To proceed on an iPhone, iPad or iPod, open the App Switcher and faucet the app banner on the backside of the display screen.
You will have to be signed into iCloud with the identical Apple ID on every gadget you need to use Handoff with. Every gadget additionally must have Bluetooth turned on, Wi-Fi turned on and Handoff turned on. Keep in mind to ensure your units are additionally linked to the identical Wi-Fi community and they’re close to one another.
Handoff works with some third-party apps, in addition to Apple apps reminiscent of Mail, Safari, Maps, Messages, Reminders, Calendar, Contacts, Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.
How one can flip Handoff on or off
On a Mac: Select Apple menu > System Preferences > Common > Choose or deselect “Permit Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud units”.
In your iPhone, iPad or iPod Contact: Go to Settings > Common > AirPlay & Handoff > Activate/off Handoff.
In your Apple Watch: On the Apple Watch app in your iPhone > Faucet Common > Activate/off Allow Handoff.
- iOS 10 or later
- macOS Sierra or later
Common Clipboard permits you to copy one thing on one Apple gadget, reminiscent of textual content, pictures, pictures and movies, and paste it onto one other Apple gadget.
It really works with any Mac, iPhone, iPad or iPod contact working macOS Sierra or iOS 10 or later. Macs working macOS Excessive Sierra or later may even have the ability to copy and paste whole recordsdata utilizing Common Clipboard.
This function activates and off mechanically while you allow or disable Handoff.
Textual content Messages Forwarding
- iPhone utilizing iOS 8.1 or later with activated community plan
- iOS 8 or later
- macOS X Yosemite or later
The Textual content Messages Forwarding function of Continuity allows you to see the SMS and MMS textual content messages which can be despatched and recieved by your iPhone in your Mac, iPad and iPod Contact. It requires an iPhone working iOS 8.1 or later and an activated community plan and it’ll work with any iPad or iPod Contact working iOS 8 or later and any Mac working macOS X Yosemite or later.
Whether or not or not the recipient has an iPhone, you’ll be able to proceed the messages dialog from whichever gadget you need. You can even provoke texts by clicking a quantity in Safari, Contacts, or Calendar.
How one can flip textual content message forwarding on or off on Continuity
- You will first have to be sure to are signed into iCloud with the identical Apple ID on all units.
- Guarantee all units are linked to Wi-Fi or a cellular community.
- In your iPhone, iPad, iPod Contact: Go to Settings > Messages > Ship & Obtain > Choose/deselect all that you just need to ship and recieve textual content messages to and from.
- In your Mac: Open Messages > Select Messages > Preferences > Click on iMessage > Choose/deselect all that you just need to ship and recieve textual content messages to and from.
- In your iPhone: Go to Settings > Messages > Textual content Message Forwarding.
- Confirm every little thing by coming into the code (that shows in your iPad, iPod Contact, or Mac) into your iPhone.
- iPhone or iPad utilizing iOS 8.1 or later with activated community plan and Private Hotspot
- iOS 8 or later
- macOS X Yosemite or later
You have lengthy been in a position to make use of your iPhone or iPad as a Private Hotspot, thus enabling you to entry the Web on different units when a Wi-Fi sign is not out there, however the setup course of is rather more streamlined with Immediate Hotspot, permitting you to attach immediately with out having to enter the password.
You should utilize the Immediate Hotspot function on any Mac, iPhone, iPad or iPod contact that is working macOS X Yosemite or later, iOS 8 or later. You will additionally want an iPhone or iPad working iOS 8.1 or later and an activated community supplier plan that gives Private Hotspot service.
To connect with your Private Hotspot, comply with the directions beneath. The 2 programs mechanically begin speaking to one another, and since there’s a direct connection, you’ll be able to immediately see sign connection in addition to battery lifetime of your iPhone.
In your Mac: Faucet on the the Wi-Fi standing menu within the menu bar to decide on the title of the iPhone or iPad offering your Private Hotspot.
In your iPad, iPhone, iPod Contact: Go to Settings > Wi-Fi > Faucet the title of the iPhone or iPad offering your Private Hotspot.
How one can allow Immediate Hotspot on Continuity
To allow Immediate Hotspot to your iPad, iPod Contact, Mac or one other iPhone, you may first want to ensure your iPad or iPhone has an activated service plan that gives Private Hotspot service.
After this, be sure every gadget is signed into iCloud utilizing the identical Apple ID, gadget has Bluetooth turned on and every gadget has Wi-Fi turned on.
To show off Immediate Hotspot: Go to Settings in your iPhone > Private Hotspot > Toggle off the Permit Others to Be part of.
- iOS 12 or later
- macOS Mojave or later
Continuity Digicam permits you to use your iPhone, iPad or iPod Contact to scan a doc or take an image of one thing and have it immediately seem in your Mac. It requires an iPhone, iPad or iPod Contact working iOS 12 or later, and a Mac working macOS Mojave or later.
The Continuity Digicam function works with plenty of apps together with Finder, Mail, Messages, Notes, Numbers, Pages, TextEdit and Keynote.
How one can use the Continuity Digicam to take a photograph
To take a photograph together with your iPhone or iPad and have it seem in your Mac:
- Open the supported software
- Management-click within the doc or window the place you need the photograph to look, or select the File or Insert menu
- Select Import or Insert from iPhone or iPad > Take Picture, which opens the digital camera app in your iPhone or iPad
- Faucet the shutter button to take a photograph in your iPhone or iPad
- Faucet Use Picture or Retake.
- Your photograph will seem within the doc or window in your Mac.
To make use of Continuity Digicam with Finder on Mac: Open a Finder window and click on the settings cog pop-up menu or Management-click on the Desktop or window the place you need your photograph to look > Select Import from iPhone or iPad > Take Picture.
How one can use the Continuity Digicam to scan a doc
To scan a doc together with your iPhone or iPad and have it seem in your Mac:
- Open a supported software
- Management-click within the doc or window the place you need your scan to look
- Select the File or Insert menu
- Select Import or Insert from iPhone or iPad > Scan Paperwork, which opens the digital camera app in your iPhone or iPad
- Place your doc in view of the digital camera in your iPhone or iPad, then watch for the scan to complete.
- If you could manually seize a scan, faucet the shutter button or one of many Quantity buttons, drag the corners to regulate the scan to suit the web page
- Faucet Preserve Scan
- Add extra scans to the doc or faucet Save while you’ve completed
- Your scans seem in a PDF doc within the doc or window in your Mac
Continuity Sketch and Continuity Markup
- iOS 13 or later
- macOS Catalina or later
Continuity Sketch and Continuity Markup will let you use your iPhone, iPad or iPod Contact to insert sketches into your Mac paperwork, or reside markup PDFs and pictures in your Mac.
The 2 options require and iPhone or iPod Contact working iOS 13 and later, an iPad working iPadOS and a Mac working macOS Catalina or later. They’ll work when your two units are close to one another, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth is turned on and your Mac and iPad, iPhone, or iPod Contact are signed in to iCloud with the identical Apple ID utilizing two-factor authentication.
Continuity Sketch and Continuity Markup work with some third social gathering apps, in addition to Apple apps together with Pages, Numbers, Keynote, Mail, Messages, Notes, and TextEdit.
How one can use Continuity Sketch
Continuity Sketch permits you to request a brand new sketch out of your iPad, iPhone, or iPod contact in your Mac after which insert the sketch into your Mac doc
You will first have to open a doc in your Mac. Relying on which app you’re utilizing, both choose File from the menu bar, or Insert > Insert from [device] > Add Sketch. You can even Management-click inside your doc, then select Add Sketch from the shortcut menu.
A sketch window will then open in your iPhone, iPad or iPod Contact permitting you to create a sketch utilizing your finger or the Apple Pencil. After you choose Carried out when you’ve completed your sketch, the sketch will seem in your Mac doc.
How one can use Continuity Markup
Continutity Markup permits you to use your Mac to request doc markup out of your iPad, iPhone, or iPod contact. As you add markup in your gadget, it’s going to occur reside in your Mac – good for issues like signing paperwork for instance. This is how:
- Discover the PDF or doc you need to markup
- Choose the doc and press the area bar to open in a preview and faucet the pen markup icon on the high, or
- Management-click the doc, then select Fast Actions > Markup from the shortcut menu
- From the markup toolbar on the high of the preview window, click on the annotate button (the rectangle with pen)
- A markup window will then open in your iPhone, iPad or iPod Contact
- Use your finger or the Apple Pencil to make your markups
- Faucet the “+” for instruments so as to add textual content, a signature, a magnifier, or shapes and arrows
- The modifications will seem reside in your Mac
- Click on accomplished when you find yourself completed
- To save lots of the modifications, click on accomplished in your Mac too
- macOS Excessive Sierra and watchOS 3 or later for Unlock
- macOS Catalina and WatchOS 6 or later for approve function
One other one of many Continuity options is Auto Unlock. It permits you to mechanically unlock your Mac when you find yourself carrying your Apple Watch. You can even use your Apple Watch to approve different requests that may in any other case require your administrator password.
You must be very near your Mac for it to work and you could be carrying your unlocked Apple Watch. All you may have to do is get up your Mac and it’ll log you in mechanically. Keep in mind that you’ll want to enter your password the primary time you log in to your Mac after logging out, restarting or turning your Mac off.
You will want a Mac working macOS Excessive Sierra or later and an Apple Watch working watchOS 3 or later for Auto Unlock. If you wish to use your Apple Look ahead to approving requests that would wish your password, you may want a Mac working macOS Catalina or later and an Apple Watch working watchOS 6 or later.
How one can allow or disable Auto Unlock
To arrange the Auto Unlock function, you may first want to ensure your Mac and Apple Watch are signed into iCloud with the identical Apple ID, that your Apple ID is utilizing two-factor authentification, that your Mac has each Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on and that your Apple Watch has a passcode.
You will then want to move to the Apple menu in your Mac > System Preferences > Safety & Privateness > Tick or Untick “Use your Apple Watch to unlock apps and your Mac” or “Permit your Apple Watch to unlock your Mac.”
To examine in case your Mac is supported: Press and maintain the choice key while selecting the Apple menu > Choose System Data > Faucet on Wi-Fi within the left bar > Lookk for “Auto Unlock: Supported” on the suitable.
Writing by Britta O’Boyle.